Type 1 Hypersensitivity is IgE mediated. It’s anaphylaxis and the one we’re most concerned with in critical care.
- Epinephrine, Benadryl, albuterol or racepinephrine, IV fluids, and pressors
- Steroids will help biphasic reaction, but not acute reaction.
- Monitor for 4-6 hours. Keep overnight if you have to re-intervene.
- Send home with 2 epi-pens, oral steroids for 3-5 days, H2RA antihistamines and Benadryl
- A biphasic reaction can happen within 24-48 hours. Symptoms are rash and swelling. This is a medical emergency. Call 9-1-1-.